Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nolan Bushnell: Oldman, avid floater, visionary!


Atari founder Noah Bushnell was recently quoted at a New York conference saying, "There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now."

"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem."

What is opinion on this working with movies and music "if you can watch it and you can hear it, you can copy it." I guess if you can program it you can protect it.

What is TPM you ask? TPM, stands for Trusted Platform Module. What does that mean to you as a consumer, and a PC game player?Remote attestation, Binding, and Sealing, are the three basic principals that are involved in this anti piracy device. Seems kinda creepy if you ask me. I like to think of my computer as being able to do things I want it to do, when I want it to do it, with no limitations. If I wanted limitations I would probably only use a console.

Then again I am just a guy, and Nolan Bushnell likes restaurants.

Personally I think they should go back to the days of code wheels and special pages in the manual.

No comments: